I’m progressing. So far there is the Link, RL, Shock, 100 armor, UDamage and few medium health & ammos. I don’t have layout in mind. I’m crafting it while playing with those assets, which are very limited btw… As you can see, it’s all about dirty sci-fi assets and I love it! Those are finished areas.
Just for fun, I spend all my Saturday making what I’m about to show you.
Now that DM-Qu0 is done, I was wondering how could I use the meshes of the Spaceship interior environment set I put aside ±2 month ago? Sadly, there isn’t enough meshes to build an entire level, or at least it would have to be a small duel map. So I thought, hey, why not make a small room instead for a weapon or health pickup?
So this is the result with fog, final lighting, post process, reflection, etc. You can found around 75% of all the meshes included in the pack. Not sure if I’ll make an entire map with the pack, time will tell.
It’s the weekend, what a cool day for release a new map 😀 I’m extremely happy to share the final version of DM-Qu0.
So, what’s new for this final? Many things ;
- Added ambient sounds.
- Added awesome custom music.
- Added decals and few pipes.
- Added preview pic.
- Added reflection.
- Made a sci-fi JumPad with custom cue to replace the stock one.
- Made few material changes here and there.
- Reduced the map file size from 470 MB to 352 MB. A well appreciated 118 MB reduction without scarifying the visuals 🙂
It’s the first time that I release the final version of my map only 1 week after a RC release. It’s short but I’m happy with the current state. Enjoy!
I’m very happy to release the Release Candidate 1 of Qu0 😀
Since B2 released back in December, I played the map A LOT, like a maniac lol 🙂 After many, many matches… I didn’t count them, I added many new improvements from the original.
First, the goal of RC1 was to get rid of all BSP brushes, having only assets, the final BV and pretty much finalized lighting. Second this is what as been done to add more to the map :
- Using the lift near the Shock, you can liftjump to land to the UDamage platform AND also land to the Flak level making a combo of liftjumping + wall dodge.
- From the same lift, you can also land on a small ledge above the medium health. The ledge is small so it only serve to make a surprise attack at the player below , you can’t camp there, it’s on purpose.
- A small floor as also been added around the same lift, it add some surprise attack possibilities and a chance to hitscan the players at the RL area.
- A small lift is now replacing the jumpad near the Bio. You can use it to liftjump and land to the UDamage platform.
- You can do wall dodge or wall run from the Bio to get the UDamage.
- The floor is now more open above the medium health, the one near the Link. It add more opportunities from the Shock to kill the Flak player (thinking he can camp there…) and also useful when you’re near the Flak with a hitscan weapon to shoot at the Shock area.
- The small corridor between the Link and Belt as now a section you can walk on crates. It add a cool vertical option
- A small opening as been made between the LR and the UDamage platform, you’ll see the benefits while playing 😉
So, what’s next?
I’ll try to make the map prettier by adding more details like decals and pipes. The main decals are already there but I’ll add more for sure, small ones here and there.
Will add custom music.
Will add preview pic.
Will add reflection. RC1 don’t have any reflection.
Will make a custom jumpad to replace the stock one.
For feedback, post it here plz, I’m eager to read what you think about it. THX!!
Dev is going well on Qu0 🙂 I play the map A LOT! I’m done with the meshing on the lower floor (Belt, RL level) and mid floor (Shock, Link, Sniper level). Now, I’ll start the upper floor (Bio, Flak, LG level). I don’t know yet if I’ll open the roof or it will be close? It depend on my “inspiration”.
The goal of RC1 is to get rid of all BSP brushes, having only assets and the final BV. I hope that bots will be able to use the lifts because it really affect the gameplay!
After, I’ll make it prettier. I’ll make it look the way I really want 😀 For example, those pics represent the RL area which I just finish the meshing and added few decals. First pic is without reflection and the second is with rough reflection. I just add a reflection sphere to have an quick idea. RC1 won’t have any reflection. I keep that for RC2 or final version.
Since Qu0 gameplay is solid with B2, it’s now time to start working on RC1 😀 The fun phase!
So, my first interrogation was which assets pack I would use? Since I like using a different assets pack from map to map, I first import the awesome Factory pack. After many long hours of making them useful in UT4, I decided to put this pack aside and started to find another pack instead. I wanted a new sci-fi look for this map (my favorite theme).
Then, I redid all the same long process to use the Spaceship interior environment set. While the assets are looking fantastics, the problem I found is that there is not enough assets to make a complete level with those without making the map visually look to much repetitive. But, I thought that some assets can be mixed with the following pack I choose in the end.
I choose the Scifi Kitbash level builder pack for the awesome sci-fi assets. While this pack as a bit more assets than the Spaceship interior environment set, it doesn’t have a huge asset choices to work with neither. I asked myself how would I be able to make a complete level without making it look boring? So, I decided to use colors this time to cut the repetitiveness. The assets materials are mostly a mix of blue, grey, red, white and yellow. It’s the first time I do that and it’s a different visual approach when your limited by assets number.
I’m pretty satisfied with the result 😀 I added detail normal map to the master materials so it look better than the original. Those are WIP pics, you can see what atmosphere it will be. I added PostProcess too. There is no reflection yet so it’s lightning and PP only. You can see that the layout is the same as the BSP version and everything as been replaced by assets. When I’ll be done with the layout, I’ll add more pipes.
I made few pickup changes to DM-Qu0. Brief :
- Removed 50 armor.
- Replaced Vest armor by Belt armor. Total armor = 150.
- Remove Grenade Launcher and ammos.
- Move the Rocket Launcher so it’s not directly under the UDamage. It’s closer to the Sinper rifle and Lighting gun areas.
- Move the vials that was under the UDamage to the previous Grenade Launcher spot and add 1. Total health = 120.
- Move some pickups a bit.
The flow is better now with all those small changes and matches are even more intense! Post your feedback here plz! Have fun 😀
DM-Qu0 is my next map for 2021, it look like I just can’t take a break from mapping… lol 🙂 I’m releasing B1 before Christmas, take it as Stevie’s Christmas gift 😛
Layout is base from one of my UT2004 favorite maps. Yes I have a ton of classic maps 😉 The original is a duel map, this one isn’t really different. You can play with 6 players max depending of their skills. This is the shell map only. With the meshes, it will be a bit smaller so gameplay will be “tighter”.
In case you didn’t notice, I always release my maps the friday, but since I’m in vacation, it’s like friday every day, ha ha!! Head over UTCC to download it. PS:
- You can get out of the play area of the map by the roof using the translocator. I didn’t bother adding blocking volume.
- You can also enter in caveats in the walls. Those caveats had meshes in it. Eventually, all walls will be meshes and covered by blocking volume to permit walldodge and wallrun.
- The lighting is the original one. There is no need at this point to start working on the lighting.
- Except the shell, pickups and the music track, there is nothing else.
Poste your feedback here plz! Have fun 😀