Dev is going veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slowly… but still, it is progressing 🙂
It’s hard to mesh the map with those assets. They look awesome but man, it’s hard!
Anyway, I post this pic just to give an idea of the actual look. Note that I added a skylight but for a reason I can’t explain it isn’t active?! I never saw that in any of my previous maps.
Dev is going slowly…
I honestly found it very hard to mesh the map base on the Modular SciFi Season 2 Starter Bundle.
When you look at the demo maps, everything is looking awesome because all of the assets are a part of the scene and all fit together. Therefore, when building a UT4 map, you just simply can’t reproduce a cool scene in the demo map in UT4, it would be way to easy. You must use of A LOT of imagination & mapping skill to create a map that look awesome without looking to boring & repetitive. Many meshes are made to use in a certain way and using them in another way doesn’t work at all. So I’m very limited in the way of using the meshes. For example, I have access to 158 meshes in all but can use only around 5 for walls, 4 for floor and ceiling. All the remaining are for deco.
Anyway, I’m doing my best to build a remarkable level. Meanwhile, you get a pic of the layout and 2 on mostly finished areas 🙂
This will be my new map for UT4 which I called DM-Cruel.
I’m using completely new assets from the Modular SciFi Season 2 Starter Bundle. Again, I had to redo everything from scratch so I could use them in the UT Editor. I have now 158 meshes to play with 😀
And like DM-Chroma, DM-Chroma FPS and DM-Coda, it is a new map, not a remake.
As for the layout, I inspire myself from one of my favorite UT2003/UT2004 map called DM-1on1-Crash made by Paul Fahss 🙂 The map was part of Epic UT2003 bonus pack. A remake attempt as already been made by jonzie23 on Epic forums a long time ago but as been abandoned. For the records, here is his DM-Crash (Remaster).
Now, a FlyBy of the original map 😀
The final version of DM-Coda is here 😀
This is what as been done for the final version :
- Added more decals. Also, they are visible only in High and Epic mode.
- Added Redeemer. Grab it by doing a WallJump or WallRun. It add lot’s of fun!
- Added rocks above the roof windows in the Invisibility sector.
- Changed ingame preview pic.
- Changed music track.
- Manually set culling on a huge amount of static meshes all across the map to obtain more performances by reducing draw calls. That was a very, very long process since the map have 5 410 static meshes.
- Map size dropped from 601 MB to 250 MB!!! Imagine, a 351 MB reduction 😮 I obtained that magic size by adjusting all textures LOD Bias. The map use roughly 400 textures! After many tweaking, they’re mostly appear in 1024 x 1024 quality ingame instead of 2K / 4K with a very minor visual quality loss. THX to MoxNix suggestion, I wasn’t aware of that setting and it made a drastic difference for map size while maintaining a excellent visual quality if set right 😀
- Remeshed the Rocket Launcher windows. I wasn’t 100% satisfied from R1.
- Performed a full lighting build, production level quality.
- Tweak post process volume to get nice occlusion from far rocks and subtle grain effect all across the map.
I’ve made updates to DM-Aly and also DM-Akar 🙂 Grab the latest versions at each map page. For both maps, by tweaking the PostProcess volume, it make the maps look better. Map size as shrunk considerably while maintaining the same level of visual quality.
I’ve made some updates to DM-Elik and also DM-Dakylian 😀 Grab the latest versions at each map page where all info is there.
Brief, for both maps, by tweaking the PostProcess volume, it make the maps looking even better. Map size as shrunk considerably while maintaining the same level of visual quality. In all, I’m proud to share them with the community 🙂
Release 1 of DM-Coda is here 😀 It will be the only release before the final.
Be warned, map size is big, 600 MB. Therefore, taking into account the huge amount of custom assets included into this level, it’s not surprising.
To give me your feedback, please, post your comments here, in this post. I won’t share it on the UT4 forums. I hope to read ya!
TY and have fun 🙂
Release 1 of DM-Coda is near 😀
In fact, meshing, lighting, post processing, music, ambient sounds, blocking volume are all done. What remain to be done is :
1. Optimizing the map by culling meshes. This is a long process because I do that manually to get the best optimization. Culling volume won’t be useful in this type of environment. It will take me some weeks to accomplish.
2. Gather players feedback so I can fix issues, if present. I hope the community will participate in the process!
3. Make full production lighting build for the finale.
File size will be big. As mention in the map page : I’m reusing the Modular SciFi Season 1 Starter Bundle for this map and I also add many, many new assets I didn’t use the last time in DM-Chroma. I also use another new set of rock meshes for the outside / scenery of the map which I’ve showed in this post. In all, it’s a lot of textures, materials and static meshes. Which means, the final file size is rather big, sadly. It’s around 605 MB. Still, once the map is on your HDD/SSD, the size doesn’t matter.
I can honestly say that I have a great time playing on it! I truly enjoy playing TDM with 12 players 🙂 I get this old UT nostalgic feeling while enjoying new gameplay elements. For me, a good mix of old school stuff and new stuff! I plan the release for this w-e or Friday 20th. Stay tune.