Since Qu0 gameplay is solid with B2, it’s now time to start working on RC1 😀 The fun phase!
So, my first interrogation was which assets pack I would use? Since I like using a different assets pack from map to map, I first import the awesome Factory pack. After many long hours of making them useful in UT4, I decided to put this pack aside and started to find another pack instead. I wanted a new sci-fi look for this map (my favorite theme).
Then, I redid all the same long process to use the Spaceship interior environment set. While the assets are looking fantastics, the problem I found is that there is not enough assets to make a complete level with those without making the map visually look to much repetitive. But, I thought that some assets can be mixed with the following pack I choose in the end.
I choose the Scifi Kitbash level builder pack for the awesome sci-fi assets. While this pack as a bit more assets than the Spaceship interior environment set, it doesn’t have a huge asset choices to work with neither. I asked myself how would I be able to make a complete level without making it look boring? So, I decided to use colors this time to cut the repetitiveness. The assets materials are mostly a mix of blue, grey, red, white and yellow. It’s the first time I do that and it’s a different visual approach when your limited by assets number.
I’m pretty satisfied with the result 😀 I added detail normal map to the master materials so it look better than the original. Those are WIP pics, you can see what atmosphere it will be. I added PostProcess too. There is no reflection yet so it’s lightning and PP only. You can see that the layout is the same as the BSP version and everything as been replaced by assets. When I’ll be done with the layout, I’ll add more pipes.
Dementor summoning is a short but damn nice and original scene made by Nodes Of Nature 😀 Following the link, at his Epic thread, you can see his engine breakdown, very interesting 🙂
Another excellent scene by Jay Patel. Really like the music in this demo 😀
I made few pickup changes to DM-Qu0. Brief :
- Removed 50 armor.
- Replaced Vest armor by Belt armor. Total armor = 150.
- Remove Grenade Launcher and ammos.
- Move the Rocket Launcher so it’s not directly under the UDamage. It’s closer to the Sinper rifle and Lighting gun areas.
- Move the vials that was under the UDamage to the previous Grenade Launcher spot and add 1. Total health = 120.
- Move some pickups a bit.
The flow is better now with all those small changes and matches are even more intense! Post your feedback here plz! Have fun 😀
DM-Qu0 is my next map for 2021, it look like I just can’t take a break from mapping… lol 🙂 I’m releasing B1 before Christmas, take it as Stevie’s Christmas gift 😛
Layout is base from one of my UT2004 favorite maps. Yes I have a ton of classic maps 😉 The original is a duel map, this one isn’t really different. You can play with 6 players max depending of their skills. This is the shell map only. With the meshes, it will be a bit smaller so gameplay will be “tighter”.
In case you didn’t notice, I always release my maps the friday, but since I’m in vacation, it’s like friday every day, ha ha!! Head over UTCC to download it. PS:
- You can get out of the play area of the map by the roof using the translocator. I didn’t bother adding blocking volume.
- You can also enter in caveats in the walls. Those caveats had meshes in it. Eventually, all walls will be meshes and covered by blocking volume to permit walldodge and wallrun.
- The lighting is the original one. There is no need at this point to start working on the lighting.
- Except the shell, pickups and the music track, there is nothing else.
Poste your feedback here plz! Have fun 😀
DM-Cruel is my last map for UT4 in 2020. Head over the map page for download.
For feedback, please post your comments at my map page. It will be your way of showing your support 🙂
Many things as been done for the final. The most important are :
- Added BV’s so it provide a better flow around some walls and also small areas where more BV’s was needed.
- Added decals for lifts (arrows + caution bars at exit).
- Deleted unnecessary meshes.
- Made many materials adjustments.
- Reduced the fog a bit (from 0.008 to 0.005).
- Set individual culling values on many, many meshes, few thousands in all.
- Create LODs on most meshes to obtain more FPS. This as been a very long process!
- Perform few full lighting build (production quality).
- Tweak the custom Jumpad so it look prettier in Epic mode. In all other quality mode, the LODs are more aggressive so the effects are looking more rough.
- Tweak the spark particle near the Sniper pickup.
Another HQ free gift from Nathan Myers, a damaged tarp vertex paint material 😀
– UE4 demo file
– FBX models
– Textures (*.TGA)