Dev is going slowly…
I honestly found it very hard to mesh the map base on the Modular SciFi Season 2 Starter Bundle.
When you look at the demo maps, everything is looking awesome because all of the assets are a part of the scene and all fit together. Therefore, when building a UT4 map, you just simply can’t reproduce a cool scene in the demo map in UT4, it would be way to easy. You must use of A LOT of imagination & mapping skill to create a map that look awesome without looking to boring & repetitive. Many meshes are made to use in a certain way and using them in another way doesn’t work at all. So I’m very limited in the way of using the meshes. For example, I have access to 158 meshes in all but can use only around 5 for walls, 4 for floor and ceiling. All the remaining are for deco.
Anyway, I’m doing my best to build a remarkable level. Meanwhile, you get a pic of the layout and 2 on mostly finished areas 🙂
The final version of DM-Coda is here 😀
This is what as been done for the final version :
- Added more decals. Also, they are visible only in High and Epic mode.
- Added Redeemer. Grab it by doing a WallJump or WallRun. It add lot’s of fun!
- Added rocks above the roof windows in the Invisibility sector.
- Changed ingame preview pic.
- Changed music track.
- Manually set culling on a huge amount of static meshes all across the map to obtain more performances by reducing draw calls. That was a very, very long process since the map have 5 410 static meshes.
- Map size dropped from 601 MB to 250 MB!!! Imagine, a 351 MB reduction 😮 I obtained that magic size by adjusting all textures LOD Bias. The map use roughly 400 textures! After many tweaking, they’re mostly appear in 1024 x 1024 quality ingame instead of 2K / 4K with a very minor visual quality loss. THX to MoxNix suggestion, I wasn’t aware of that setting and it made a drastic difference for map size while maintaining a excellent visual quality if set right 😀
- Remeshed the Rocket Launcher windows. I wasn’t 100% satisfied from R1.
- Performed a full lighting build, production level quality.
- Tweak post process volume to get nice occlusion from far rocks and subtle grain effect all across the map.
For those who still play UT3, Moloch map pack 8 as been release 🙂 All maps as been made by Michail ‘Moloch’ Levchinko. As always, you can expect unique looking maps 😀
– Unreal Tournament 3 Patch 2.1 with Titan pack.
This pack contains :
DM-SpaceWanderer (Hyperneros new version)
Grab the pack here 😀 Head over Epic to leave your comments 🙂
More at his Epic thread 🙂
Release 1 of DM-Coda is here 😀 It will be the only release before the final.
Be warned, map size is big, 600 MB. Therefore, taking into account the huge amount of custom assets included into this level, it’s not surprising.
To give me your feedback, please, post your comments here, in this post. I won’t share it on the UT4 forums. I hope to read ya!
TY and have fun 🙂
DM-Coda is shaping out nicely. I’m at ±90% done I think? The actual area which I found very hard to craft is the Rocket Launcher area. Like I already mention, I don’t like the original RL layout so my goal is to craft a new and interesting area to replace the original. I must say, I truly enjoy playing the map. Not only it look awesome but plays very well on my rig 😀
DM-Chroma FPS is now available & I’m happy to share this new version with the community 😀
Have fun 🙂
This HQ PBR textile materials pack made by Tomas Buran contains 8 realistic photoscanned tillable textile materials at 4K resolution in high quality. There is also a Substance Painter materials (.sbsar files) very easy to use. All of them were enhanced with Substance Designer 🙂
Download on Gumroad & use discount code : freeholidays
DM-Coda is shaping out nicely. I’m at ±50% done I think? Next area’s to craft are the Minigun, Shock and RL areas. I don’t like the original RL layout so I don’t know yet what I’ll do. I’m also keeping the Invisibility pickup for now and made a big room for it (showed in the second pic).
When the map play area will be completed, then, I’ll start working on the exterior “scenery” aspect. For now, it’s totally empty. You can see there are many new meshes in those pics! Enjoy the dev 🙂